Monday, October 30, 2006

::: MISCHIEF NIGHT & CHUNG YEUNG :::

Growing up there was this thing called Mischief Night on the eve of halloween. Punk kids went out and did things. Wrapped some houses in tp, shaving creamed a few cars, chalked the streets. Nothing too serious, at least for my friends and neighborhood hoodlums.

One year my parents were out of town, and we had recently made a visit to The Price Club...before Sam's or Costco were big. Grandma was staying with us and it was everything I could do to lie to her and get out that night. It was a rough stay that year from Grandma. I was a punk to her. But I grabbed the tp and headed out with Jeff Ciardi...wish I knew what he was doing these days...anyway, we headed down to the Quick Check along the way throwing one roll of tp. Yeah, one roll. Cause you know, we knew that no one would notice it missing. If I remember Jeff was a little more excited about doing some damage than I was but still...we were not punks and didn't have it in us.

Wusses.

Anyway, today is a national holiday. I am off of school today and spending time catching up and trying to get a little ahead too. Turns out that we have 17 Public holidays a year. I like Hong Kong...a lot.

The name of today's festival is the Chung Yeung Festival, and it is slightly in line with the other end of October festivals centered around dead people. If you click the highlighted link above, then it will take you to to an excellent blog entry here in HK about the festival, and there will be another linked word in Orange. Click that for an explanation of the festival...or 'Holiday' for those stuck in Western thinking.

Happy Chung Yeung!

No comments: