Thursday, October 12, 2006

::: Golden Week, Part Nine...Let's Just Close This Thing Up

So...where was I?

Oh yeah. On a bed, really just a piece of plywood covered in a sheet or two. A stained pillow of some sort, and splatter stains on the wall that indicate...well, that something went wrong for someone.

From my pillow I can see a few things that render the mind to think...UNSANITARY. Not too bad though, reminded me of the hospital in Brasil I visited. Yes, I would go back and yes, I would let a loved one be treated there.

Well, I am on my back and the little nurse comes in to introduce me to my new best friends. But, just before bringing them in I get a little shot in the feaster!




















That's right Nurse...like two fine Christmas Hams crammed into some Khaki shorts!!! I am a cheeky fellow!




















Then...the two best friends roll in. The nurse hooks me up with the very first IV drip I have ever had in my life. Actually, this is the first visit to the hospital that didn't begin and end in the Emergency Room and something on my face or head getting sewn up.





















Drip and Drip Controller. These guys were going to get me back up and running...you know, the good kind of running. I am hooked up for the first time ever in my life to an IV drip...in China. I have lived some life folks...I have lived some life!
















While I am getting the fluids and basically on my way to recovery, the other Doctor that was checking me in stopped by to say hello...This is the same one that took the other patient while I was being assesed. While I was slightly frustrated with him for the aforementioned curb-tossing he gave me, this was a really nice gesture and I was humbled...and even a little more comforted. Unfortunately for John and Jenn...who are pretty well versed in Chinese, this guy wanted to do nothing but talk about them and ask all kinds of questions...at 1am...in a foriegn language. Try that in English any day and see if you don't want to choke someone about 10 minutes into it.






























The doctor clears up immediately our first question as to whether or not I am supposed to be drinking the super-salty mix they gave me. Drink it up he says. I guess we are getting hydrated from the mouth and the veins! About a liter into the water, I can tell things are working again because man do I need to go #1. Bladder is on 'F' and ready to make some room. Mind you all I can do in my head is think of the infamous, "went in for #1 and out came #2" whoopsie. And with the luck I was having with that whole issue...I'll add a leg crossing to the colon clenching and at this point, I totally must have looked uncomfortable!

While Dr. McChats-a-lot was keeping John and Jenn at a high blood pressure, I closed my eyes and just hung out there thinking. I mean could Christ have ever been more evident? China. Medically trained friends. Friends with the Chief of Staff. Harvard. English. No waiting in line. Extra visits by Doctors. Clarification of Harvard boy's prescriptions. I was at peace. I thanked the Trinity...you know...gotta keep it real...and I opened my eyes and the Doc was asking about one other prescription that he saw was missing. Luckily it was all squared away and it was for something I like to call Liquid Colon Concrete. 1 Dose of that stuff and it would be days before that seal was cleared!

It was now easily almost 2am and I was feeling superb. They asked if I wanted the last bag of fluids and I passed, the two I had were definitely enough. We thanked everyone and shook hands, I walked away smiling at the whole ordeal and laughed to myself.

Only one last thing we needed. To hail a cab, and it not take 45 minutes like coming home from the Psycho Communist Massage Lady. We should just send her in under-cover into North Korea, that whole thing will work itself right out! Well, we walk out of the building to head to look for a cab and there was one parked, almost like it was waiting for us.

Yes, friends. It's true yet again. The Bible tells us that God goes before us. He sure did. He protected me. He served me through different people. He blessed me. He gave me an adventure...and from your emails....He has given you laughter at my expense.

Anything for you...and...anything for Him.

1 comment:

Maxwell's Mommy said...

That's beautiful Michael... Thanks for sharing the experience, and in so much detail. It was almost like I was there, but I'm glad I missed out on the different smells and sounds that came with the experience.
Did you make your flight back to HKG on time?