Thursday, October 19, 2006

I HATE MORNINGS

I hate mornings.

I don't do them well.

Somehow all the junk that gets in your eyes at night doesn't all wind up as crusty stuff that lives in the corners. That stuff is at least fun to hear hit the porcelain sink in the morning. I like listening to see how loud of a ding it makes when it hits...I usually judge how good of a nights sleep I had on that noise.

But the other stuff...the stuff that isn't dry yet. That goop...PISSES ME OFF!
It gets in the way! It simply blocks the sight of one eye as it pleases. It has a mind of its own, which is why I am taking this so personally. And you can't get rid of it without looking like you have pink-eye from all the rubbing. One minute you are fine, then next blurrsville. I can rub and rub and think I got the goop, but I never do. It shows up somewhere else...aided and abbeded by my eyelids.

Another reason I hate the mornings is that I never seem to get enough sleep. We have a meeting every morning that is conducted in Cantonese and lasts about 20 minutes. I hate waking up before 7am. I hate getting up and having to iron on some days because my clothes that are air drying are'nt quite dry enough. Not getting up any earlier leaves me having to rush. I hate rushing. I have left the iron on on a number of occasions. I hate leaving the iron on.

I haven't had a good morning since I got here.

Save the one where I checked myself into the Holiday Inn Golden Mile. Not your average Holiday Inn my friends. I checked myself in for the pillows...all six of them. The King size bed...the one I am on is from IKEA and has a headboard and footboard...and I guess in IKEAville people are just not as tall. The television...NFL scores just aren't the same on the internet...nor is Squawk Box. And of course, simply to spoil myself a little bit. I had space. I had real estate in the King Size bed. I had curtains over the shades that kept out the light that sometimes sneaks in through the blinds. I had space. I had great sleep, and...

I had coffee.

Ooohhhhhh that sweet nectar of the earth! It had been almost a year exactly since my last consistent routine with coffee. I have had the occasional cup of coffee, but nothing like the pot of coffee I would have once an hour like I used to. I had switched to tea last summer, after all,...THEY say that Green Tea has more caffeine than a regular cup of black coffee and Jasmine Tea settles your stomach and gets you ready for the day.

You know, I would love to learn about the different teas while I am over here and am working on getting a visit to a tea farm set up...I may even see if I can do some of the picking.

But, there is something about that aroma of coffee. And, I really don't know that the word 'aroma' can really be used in any other setting. Fresh French bread has a smell that is unlike any other, but it to me is a smell. I never say aroma about french bread. Nor do I say it about fresh baked cookies. The only time I use aroma is for the smell of roasting coffee. And, the best part of the deal is that you know exactly the scent I am talking of when I use the word aroma. It's that kick in the head you get when it wafts into your nose. That sudden, punchy smell...and it reminds me of so many things.

I get my share of the blessed aroma...there are Starbuck's aplenty. But, just none in my area. There really isn't any coffee chain or providers...in fact, not even at the 7-11. So my dear friends...bad mornings can get better...usually with a good cup of that filtered dirt.

But, for now, the next paycheck has a coffee makers name all over it...he thinks to himself as he rubs more goop out of his eyes while typing this during the morning meeting.

::: A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS :::



My "other" favorite trinitarian topic for discussion



Oh God...I can see the light!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You remember the high-pitched squeal of disappointment when you told me you didn't drink coffee anymore? It was in my kitchen in the corner between the stove, the sink, the coffee pot, coffee scoop in hand. I was devestated. I believe my exact words were "Not you! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!". I remember stomping my foot and hitting my leg with my hand in complete and utter shockand dismay.

Cross back to the other side my dear one, cross back...

...just remember, what you do in moderation...not a pot an hour.

Cross back....

Chad Freeman said...

Shut up about the stupid coffee already! "I need my cooffee," he says in a childlike voice. Would ya' be a man, and just stop acting like coffee is worth waking for!... Sorry, I have just wanted to say that to a customer for the last 3 years of my life. If ya' like the aroma of coffee so much, why don't I send you my work cloths and you can just drape it all around your apartment so you can smell the "aroma" of a coffee shop (the awefull smell of coffee and sweat)! Send me your address, I will send you some coffee!

Anonymous said...

Hey Mik-ey!!!! This is Krista J "Herrick" now. I just talked to Rebecca P and she told me about this and how you were doing. It is great to see you are doing well! I'm trying to catch up by reading up on all this, but I've gathered you are in Asia now. Just like finding the Garlic-Cheese Bread out on the patio at Pasta Jay's in Boulder, I've made it my life journey to find all the things that Jesus left for me. Another one is walking into Santa Barbara Roasting Company to "experience" coffee beans being roasted over a nice iced mocha. That's life man! It is still nice to see some things never change about Michael Maldanis! Good to see you are doing well.