Monday, October 23, 2006

::: A Change Is Gonna Come ::::

So maybe this isn't so Asian...but I am here...and she is there.

This little girl that I met a few weeks before leaving has 'gotten under my skin' as Ol' Blue Eyes sang.

She sneaks into my day in random ways, like a sneak attack from the tickle monster when you are a little kid. Out of nowhere...and you are glad they are there making you laugh and smile.

Tonight I was eating at Ruby Tuesday's...back in the States I would have avoided this restaurant after a few mediocre visits in Jackson, Tennessee. But, in Hong Kong...if you want a decent burger, you would go here. And I did...want a good burger...and get it at Ruby Tuesdays. I have a 50% off card that makes it not so so crazy expensive, roughly $10. Yeah, I said not so crazy expensive...I never said cheap.

I stroll up to the bar like Norm Petersen...you know, like I belong there...and everyone should know my name. They don't by the way. I am just another foreigner looking for a western meal.

I order the Colossal burger...it's huge. Two half pounders. One...stacked on top of the other! Ahhh, but my mother taught me well...take the other one home and stretch that meal! And, I did. But that is not the point.



I am about to bite into this monster, and all of a sudden I hear a song overhead that is quite familiar. Rascal Flatts. One of Cheryl's favorite bands. I can't help the smile that starts off in the corner of my mouth and moves across with the power of a tidal wave.

Now, I, however hate this song. It's was overplayed. It's a bit cheesy. It's endearing...but I guess I just got tired of hearing it played on every station on the radio. It was one of THOSE songs. It crossed-over into every genre, thus every station. One of the reasons I switched to satellite radio.

Bless The Broken Road. That's the song. That's the song that I hate and uncontrollably change on the radio EVERY time it comes on. It's instinct. It just happens.


But today...things changed.


And then I think to myself...ooohhhhhh...so, this is what it's like!

4 comments:

Shelbmeister said...

I'm not gonna lie. At first when i saw the title of this blog I was pretty pumped, thinking it would be something about our man Gavin. But alas, it was not. However I did start to crack up when I pictured you trying to fit that entire burger in your mouth. So it's still a good day.

Anonymous said...

Yes, my dear...this is what it's like...everything changes!

I'm thrilled that you are fully experiencing, and embracing, the sometime gradual-sometimes supersonic speed reformation of "self" into "couple". Everything you think you know, are confident you know and feel, all of a sudden has a different meaning.

Congratulations and welcome...your life will never be the same...

...until you have children and then it'll just be blown out of the water and you won't know if you're coming or going (but half of everyone will tell you you are coming and the other half will tell you that you're going, as if to make it more simple for you). I digress...

One of the reasons you switched to satelite, huh? Did you ever get Dad those shirts? : )

Cheryl said...

I get it Michael. You are too sweet. You tell me in so many ways. You are my favorite person in the whole wide world. xoxo :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey dude, hope all is goin well! Miss ya man! Eat lots of Chinese food for me :) Love ya buddy