Thursday, September 07, 2006

My Daddy...

My Dad's birthday is Friday and for me that is now, for you...tomorrow. Not only is it his birthday, but, it is his 60th birthday!

I cannot believe my father is 60. If you are reading this, then you likely know him. And if you know him, then you likely love him, cause everyone does. He is an amazing man, and an ever present support, simply waiting in the background if you need him. His voice can sooth in a time of stress, and it can make a 30 year old son and a 33 year old daughter still see him as our daddy in a matter of a word uttered...or breathed loudly. (He breathes real loud) And, if you have ever called our house, then you know he can mumble too!

(AS A MATTER OF FACT YOU SHOULD CALL HIM AND WISH HIM A HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! HOW GREAT WOULD IT BE FOR HIM TO GET FLOODED WITH CALLS FROM PEOPLE HE MAY OR MAY NOT KNOW!!!!...email me for their phone number)

He can scare the crap out of just about anyone. And a little secret is how much of a teddy bear Dad really is (sorry to let the secret out there Big Fella). But he is always someone you want to spend more time with and listen to tell stories or random crap he knows.

He is smart...real dang smart...so smart it kind of pisses you off. Everyone seems to have been consulting my Dad for something ever since I can recall. Car trouble, construction, resume building, lawn care, landscaping, computers, lifting (not so much anymore), you name it...he seems to know something about it. Kind of pisses you off even more doesn't it?



...He is an amazing man, and an ever present support, simply waiting in the background if you need him...

Well, Dad...you are my hero...and I love you more than I have ever told you or could ever tell you. Happy Birthday and bring on the 80's! I AM SO VERY PROUD OF YOU POPS!!!


a few words from a friend...



ON TURNING 70 "You still chase women, but only downhill".

ON TURNING 80 "That's the time of your life when even your birthday suit
needs pressing."

ON TURNING 90 "You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than
the cake."

ON TURNING 100 " I don't feel old. In fact I don't feel anything until
noon. Then it's time for my nap."

ON GIVING UP HIS EARLY CAREER, BOXING "I ruined my hands in the ring ...
the referee kept stepping on them."

ON SAILORS "They spend the first six days of each week sowing their wild
oats, then they go to church on Sunday and pray for crop failure."

ON NEVER WINNING AN OSCAR "Welcome to the Academy Awards or, as it's
called at my home, 'Passover'."

ON GOLF "Golf is my profession. Show business is just to pay the green
fees."

ON PRESIDENTS " I have performed for 12 presidents and entertained only
six."

ON WHY HE CHOSE SHOWBIZ FOR HIS CAREER " When I was born, the doctor said
to my mother, 'Congratulations.You have an
eight-pound ham'."

ON RECEIVING THE CONGRESSIONAL GOLD MEDAL "I feel very humble, but I think
I have the strength of character to fight it."

ON HIS FAMILY'S EARLY POVERTY "Four of us slept in the one bed. When it
got cold, mother threw on another brother."

ON HIS SIX BROTHERS "That's how I learned to dance. Waiting for the
bathroom."

ON HIS EARLY FAILURES " I would not have had anything to eat if it wasn't
for the stuff the audience threw at me."

ON GOING TO HEAVEN "I've done benefits for ALL religions. I'd hate to
blow the hereafter on a technicality.

4 comments:

Shelbmeister said...

It's true...Your dad is a bad "A". I knew he was a teddy bear from the start...and very big...scary...teddy bear...haha. E-mail me that fools number, I'm freakin calling him tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

dang thats sweet! i'll stalk them for their number, no need to email, unless i can't find it, then email...haha, then i will randomly call the house, sing happy birthday then hang up without them ever knowing that it was me...ha, but i guess they'll know when they read the blog...

Anonymous said...

MIKE!!! i just looked up the house number oh yahoo people search, i totally didn't know your dad's name is Algert! I hope that is your dad's name, because that is the number i will be callin tomorrow, and it is the only maldanis in all of rockwall(since its so common around these parts ;) ) welp, later on dude!

Anonymous said...

You think you're so hot having this forum to tell the entire world how awesome OUR dad is! You could've at least put my name in...not my age, oh dear Golden Child!

Well, I just priced advertisments on the back of milk catons, so there!