Tuesday, December 19, 2006

::: THE ARRIVALS TERMINAL :::

I can be pretty emotional sometimes.

Earlier this year, I was kicked in the face by how many weddings I was honored to be a part of. There were plenty of others who deserved the humbling honor of standing with these men as they made their vows. Supporting these men, as they take on the most privileged and sobering reality of leading and nurturing a family as a husband. And, being up there, I was also making a commitment to their wives. I was stating with my participation that I would ask these men the tough questions about their husbandry for the rest of my life and theirs, to make sure these guys are doing their jobs.

The weddings were all in a span of a few weeks, and they all were just as I was trying to figure things out for this little adventure I am on right now. Sorry to say I didn't give them the 'once in a lifetime' attention that they deserved...I was a little preoccupied and selfish. Sorry to those guys if I came across distracted.

BUT...the reasons I am telling you this is not that I suck...we know I do! But, I am getting to the point. Being the Best Man signs you up to pick these newlyweds up from the airport after the honeymoon too! I had this opportunity twice.

While sitting and waiting at the International Arrivals terminal at DFW, I noticed something. I was getting emotional. I was choking up at the people meeting people. Homecomings, reunions, first time to see baby, funerals, vacations...all in one place.

Maybe that's why I like aviation so much. The romance of it. I think of my grandfather who was stationed in England during WWII. I think of him coming home...and basically moving into my Great Grandmother's house, taking over my grandmother's room and basically kicking her out of her own room! (his house was only 15 minutes away). But, I think he did it because he loved my grandmother. Maybe in a way that we as onlookers may never comprehend. His way.

I think of a time when people actually dressed up to fly. When flying was an adventure, something unfamiliar. Something...that was...well...exciting!

Tomorrow I leave to come home for the holidays. For the first time, there is someone other than my family who longs to see me. For the first time I am anxious to see those International Arrival doors open and I have no idea how I will react. But, I like to think this holiday movie says all of the above and then some...

3 comments:

Maxwell's Mommy said...

I'm excited for you bro... that's some good stuff!
Scotto

Unknown said...

great post ... .is that a tear in my eye .... NOOO!

Unknown said...

great post ..... is that a tear in my eye ....NO!!!!